3/12/12

The end of a love/hate relationship.

I have decided it is time for me to stop breastfeeding, and it is so bittersweet.  The hate part mainly refers to when I first started breastfeeding.  I am not going to lie, it is one of the hardest things I have ever done.  It tested my patience more than ever, but it didn't take long for me to love it.  Even though the beginning started out very rough, I will cherish the special moments and bond of nursing forever.  I always thought it would be such a liberating feeling when I decided to stop breastfeeding, but I am really sad about it. We always joke that Hudson is going to be a "boob man", because that child LOVES to nurse.  I think he is going to have just as hard of a time weaning as his mama.  I told myself when I started if I could make it six months I would feel like I was successful at it, we are a week shy of him being six months old.  A lot of my friends and family probably think I am crazy because I have been so torn up about when to quit, if you are/have been a nursing mom you probably completely understand.  The final straw came last week as we hit a warm spell, and everything that spring has to offer came to life, along with my allergies.  I have really bad allergies, and have been feeling bad for a few weeks now.  I cannot take my allergy meds while nursing, because my milk will dry up.  I tried to tough it out, but mother nature is relentless, and it was taking a toll on me.  I am going to continue to nurse first thing in the morning, and in the afternoon as long as my milk lasts, but I am no longer going to nurse at night or pump during the day.  I am hoping one positive thing will be his sleeping habits, he is so attached to nursing at night a lot of times he used it as a pacifier.  Once I get him weaned at night I hope he will start sleeping through the night, or go longer stretches, wishful thinking right? If any of you have any advice/suggestions about weaning I would greatly appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. You can do it! I know it's tough and sad at the same time, but it helped me to think of it as P's first step in independence. How you mentioned above is exactly how I weaned. I stopped pumping (unless I was dying and had to) and just nursed in the middle of the night and the morning until I was ready to make the switch to bottles. When my supply starting running out in the middle of the night, it was actually a good thing, because Brian and I rotated nights so that one of us got a great night's sleep. It wasn't all on me anymore! As someone who suffers from allergies too, it is so worth it to be able to take meds again. He's had it at the most critical time, and Amber, that is SUCH an achievement. You should feel SO proud of the sacrifices you have made to feed Hudson. So many women don't make it this long. Anyway, I know you two can do it. Let me know if you need any help or support - I'm always here!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS