4/23/13

God is Good.

I grew up in a house full of faith.  We talked about God, we prayed, we went to church, but we were never part of a church.  I have gone to many churches, but never really found my place.  I now realize that was always the problem.  Finding my place.  We grew up Baptist, and always attended Baptist churches.  I always felt like I walked away with a message, but I also felt bad about myself.  By no means am I saying anything bad about being Baptist, or the churches I went to, it just wasn't my place.  I always wanted to be involved in church. and I knew I wanted my kids to go to church.  Before Luke and I got married we set out to find a church.  He grew up Catholic, but wasn't opposed to trying other religions.  After trying out several places we found ourselves at Hermitage United Methodist Church, and we loved it.  It had the message I was used to, and the rituals that Luke was used to.  We went to church often, and agreed we wanted the Pastor to marry us.  Pastor Allen Black was wonderful, we loved meeting with him for our pre marital counseling, and never once felt judgement.  We loved going to church, but never got involved the way I knew I wanted to.  Eventually we stopped going on a regular basis.  We heard about a more contemporary service HUMC was offering, and decided to try their first service on Easter of 2012.  We really enjoyed the service, but never went back.  Fast forward to December 2012.  My Papa passed away.  That is when things changed for my whole family.  His funeral was on a Saturday, the next Sunday we went to The Foundry, and my life was forever changed. I found my place. We have rarely missed a service since that Sunday.  Not only do we attend church on Sundays, we are involved.  We know, or recognize everyone we go to church with.  We know our pastor on a personal basis.  I am moved by Pastor Chris every single Sunday.  He can deliver a message unlike any pastor I have ever seen.  He is real.  He has made mistakes.  I am pretty sure he doesn't have a judgmental bone in his body.  I leave church feeling so incredibly blessed, instead of bad about myself. I look forward to church, instead of going because I know I should. I am involved in two small groups, one for couples, and one for women.  They are both wonderful, and completely different.  Sunday April 21st will go down as one of the best days in my life.  I was Baptized.  My sisters entire family was Baptized.  Mia was Baptized.  8 other adults and children were Baptized.  It is an experience I will never forget.







How sweet is this picture with Macy Kate watching her mommy.


It made it so much more special that Pastor Allen was there too.




















We are so blessed to have such wonderful friends.






These ladies have my heart.  They have had a hand in changing my life, and I look forward to our women's group meetings every other week.  I have learned so much from each of them, and I thank God everyday for putting them in my life. 



I am so blessed to have The Foundry, and I know that God put all of these people in my life when I needed them the most.  They have helped me more than they will ever know, and I am so thankful to have finally found my place.















1 comment:

  1. Amber, this post moved me to tears. So happy for you and your family. We, too, have been wanting to find a place where we fit. I hope and pray I find that place just as you have!

    ReplyDelete

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS